RICHMOND – Governor Terry McAuliffe today announced a $4.3 million goal for the 2016 Commonwealth of Virginia Campaign (CVC) for state employee workplace giving during the annual kickoff. The 2016 goal is 5 percent higher than the $4.1 million donated by state employees during the 2015 campaign. State employees exceeded a 5 percent goal for last year by 2 percent, donating 7 percent more than the $3.9 million raised in 2014.
“State employees have always come through to meet the needs of their communities,” said Governor McAuliffe, speaking at today’s kickoff. “The annual Commonwealth of Virginia Campaign is an excellent program that provides directly to hundreds of charities in Virginia and across the country. Virginia is fortunate to have employees who respond so generously to the CVC campaign and are willing to support charitable organizations.”
Since 1997, state employees have donated a total of $46.8 million to more than 1,000 participating charities selected during a rigorous process for the campaign. Their generosity has impacted the lives of many children, adults, veterans, including those without permanent housing or food security. Charitable donations have also provided resources to organizations with broader scopes, such as cancer research and treatment, land conservation, and expanding access to education.
During the 2016 CVC Campaign kickoff in Richmond, the Governor presented awards for the student CVC art contest, which is offered through the art departments in each school. The best-in-show grand prize winner’s artwork is used as this year’s campaign poster. Schools that received awards included:
- First place and best in show grand prize winner – Osbourn High School, Manassas
- Second place – Strasburg High School, Strasburg
- Third place – Clover Hill High School, Richmond
- First place – Carter G. Woodson Middle School, Hopewell
- Second place - Carter G. Woodson Middle School, Hopewell
- Third place – E.B. Stanley Middle School, Abingdon
- First place – Red Mill Elementary School, Virginia Beach
- Second place – Cumberland County Elementary School, Cumberland
- Third place – Cumberland County Elementary School, Cumberland
Governor Terry McAuliffe today announced a $4.3 million goal for the 2016 Commonwealth of Virginia Campaign (CVC) for state employee workplace giving during the annual kickoff. The 2016 goal is 5 percent higher than the $4.1 million donated by