For Immediate Release:
January 13, 2018
Office of the Governor: Brian Coy, 804-225-4260, Brian.Coy@governor.virginia.gov
Governor Ralph Northam Signs Executive Order Number Two
RICHMOND – Governor Ralph Northam today signed Executive Order Number Two designating certain powers to his Chief of Staff in the event of a state emergency where the Governor is incapacitated or cannot be reached.
Read the full text of Executive Order Number Two below:
NUMBER TWO (2018)
AUTHORITY AND RESPONSIBILITY OF THE CHIEF OF STAFF
Importance of the Initiative
By virtue of the authority vested in me as Governor under Article V, Sections 1, 7, 8, and 10 of the Constitution of Virginia and Sections 2.2-100 and 2.2-104 of the Code of Virginia, and subject always to my continuing ultimate authority and responsibility to act in such matters and to reserve to myself any and all such powers, I hereby affirm and delegate to my Chief of Staff the powers and duties enumerated below.
- To direct, as the deputy planning and budget officer, the administration of the state government planning and budget process, except as to the responsibilities enumerated below, which are retained by me:
- Submission of the budget and accompanying documents to the General Assembly;
- Final review and determination of all proposed expenditures and of estimated revenues and borrowings to be included in the Executive Budget for each state department, division, office, board, commission, institution, or other agency or undertaking;
- Amendment of Position Levels; and
- Authorization of deficits.
- To direct, as the deputy personnel officer, the administration of the state government personnel system, except as to the responsibility enumerated below, which are retained by me:
- Final determination with respect to employee compensation plans;
- Submission of reports to the General Assembly by the Governor as required by law;
- Issuance, amendment, or suspension of the Rules for the Administration of the Virginia Personnel Act; and
- Final action on appeals from appointing authorities to the Governor.
- To review, in the event of my absence or unavailability, major planning, budgetary, personnel, policy, and legislative matters that require my decision.
- To review, in the event of my absence or unavailability, policy or operational differences that may arise among or between my Secretaries and other Cabinet members.
- To administer the direction and supervision of the Governor's Office, as well as budgetary and personnel authority for the Office.
Effective Date of the Executive Order
This Executive Order rescinds Executive Order No. 3 (2014) issued on January 11, 2014, by Governor Terence R.McAuliffe. This Executive Order shall become effective upon its signing and shall remain in full force and effect until January 31, 2022, unless amended or rescinded by further executive order.
Given under my hand and under the Seal of the Commonwealth of Virginia this 13th day of January 2018.
Ralph S. Northam, Governor
Secretary of the Commonwealth