Proclamations are a specific type of document requested by organizations to commemorate a particular holiday or date or group. Proclamations have their own set of guidelines and procedures, which are accessible below:
At his discretion, the Governor will issue proclamations and certificates for noteworthy state or local events that deserve special recognition.
The Office of Constituent Services handles requests for proclamations. Please review the guidelines below before submitting a request.
- A Virginia resident must make the request.
- Requests must be made no fewer than 45 days in advance and no more than 120 days in advance of the date you need the proclamation.
- Requests must be completed via this form.
- Neither mailed, faxed, hand-delivered; e-mailed nor phone requests will be honored.
- Proclamations must affect a broad group of people. Requests to honor an individual or specific organization will not be issued.
- Proclamations should not take sides in matters of political controversy; nor should they address personal or individual convictions.
- No proclamation may be used as part of an advertisement or commercial promotion without the express permission of the Governor's Office. Any use of the proclamation in a news release or other type of publication must be approved by the Governor's Office prior to publication.
- Multiple requests by the same organization will not be honored within the same calendar year.
- Every request must gain official approval before being issued.
- The Governor's Office reserves the right to modify or deny any proclamation request.
- Please note that proclamations will be delivered no more than two weeks in advance of the proclamation date.
What to Include
- Contact person's first and last name, address and telephone number.
- A brief summary and/or background of the event or organization.
- The name and date(s) of the day, week, month, or event to be proclaimed.
- Proposed text for the proclamation, including 4-6 “Whereas” clauses.
- An indication of whether the completed proclamation should be mailed (standard U.S. mail) or if you will pick it up.
- A date when the proclamation is needed.
Proclamations are not automatically renewed from year to year. You must submit a new proclamation for each year. If you would like to request a proclamation, please complete and submit the Proclamation Request form.